If you have been following the Disney community you may have heard about this little thing called a Zebra Dome. It’s yet another Disney dessert that has grown its own cult following. This is by far the most unique dessert of the popular Disney World options.
So Just What is a Zebra Dome?
I like to think of it as a cake truffle. The base of the dome is a thin layer of cake. Inside is an Amarula liquor mousse that is covered in white chocolate then drizzled with chocolate. Lastly, it is topped with chocolate shavings.
So how do you know if you will like the taste of a Zebra Dome? Well you won’t know for sure until you try it but it’s said that if you like tiramisu that you are sure to like this dessert as well. I like that they aren’t a sweetness overload. One of my biggest complaints about the cupcakes at Disney is they are just loaded with crazy amounts of icing. This isn’t the case with Zebra Domes they are much more subtle.
Where to Buy Zebra Domes
So far Zebra Domes have just been available at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. If you want to go the fast and easy route just pop into the Mara. It’s the quick service location for the Animal Kingdom Lodge. You will find the Zebra Domes sold in sets of four in the grab and go coolers. This is right by where you find the bottled beverages. Best of all the pack of Zebra Domes will set you back just under $5.
If you are in for more of an experience you can book a reservation and eat at Boma. This buffet of African flavors has a whole tray of Zebra Domes and you can eat as many as you can! Plus it’s one of our favorite buffets at Disney World. It has the biggest selection of food options even picky eaters will find something to eat here and everything just tastes so amazing.
Recipe for Zebra Domes
Did you know that Disney will give you the recipe for any dish they make? So if you are up for a cooking challenge you can take a stab at whipping up your very own Zebra Domes at home. A word of warning the flexipan for the domes are expensive to the tune of around $100!
Ingredients for Zebra Domes
- 1 pound milk chocolate
- ¼ cup espresso coffee
- 5 egg yolks
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 gelatin sheets
- ½ cup Kahlua Liqueur
- 4 cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup white chocolate ganache
- ¼ cup dark chocolate ganache
- Sponge Cake
Directions to Make for Zebra Domes
- Melt your chocolate, I am partial to just slowly microwaving it down but you can also do on the stove by placing a bowl with chocolate over a pot of boiling pot of water.
- Whip heavy cream to soft peaks
- Mix yolks with sugar
- Soften gelatin leaves in cold water
- Mix gelatin with Kahlua and coffee. Set bowl over hot water to dissolve the gelatin.
- Fold ⅓ of whipped cream into the chocolate
- Add the yolks, then the gelatin mixture
- Fold in the rest of the cream
- Pour mousse in flexipan dome mold almost to the top
- Place sponge circle (¼” thick yellow cake cut in a circle) on top. Leave in the freezer to set
- Once everything has hardened, unmold and place in glazing racks
- Make white chocolate ganache and chocolate ganache
- Put chocolate ganache in a pastry bag. Ladle white chocolate ganache to cover each dome. Simultaneously, pipe a stripe design of chocolate ganache over the dome
- Refrigerate to allow the glaze to set
- Decorate the bottom edge with coffee crunch
- Place a chocolate covered coffee bean on the center of each dome.
Note: One sheet of gelatin is equal to one teaspoon of unflavored powdered gelatin dissolved in ¼ cup of water.
Do you love Zebra Domes? Let us know about it in the comment section below. We also love to hear from you if this item is on your Disney snack bucket list.
I have been visiting the parks annually since my parents first brought me at just a year old. Recently I was able to fulfill my life long dream of being a Florida local and moved from the wintery Northeast to the sunshine and fun of central Florida. Now I am hoping to share my Disney knowledge with you so you can have the best vacation possible!