Following Information was last updated September 8th 2017. As hurricane Irma closes in on the state of Florida, Disney has taken precautions and started to close parks and cancel events. Currently, the National Hurricane Center’s forecast path for Irma has it hitting South Florida, including Miami and then traveling up to Central Florida. As we are still a couple days out from landfall nothing is for certain yet but everyone has been taking the threats seriously. The following below are Disney World Closures Due to Hurricane Irma.
If you would like more information on how a hurricane can affect Disney World read What you Need to Know if a Hurricane Affects your Disney Vacation.
Disney Hurricane Irma Closures
- All Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom,both Disney Water parks, and Disney Springs will be closed on Sunday, September 10 and Monday, September 11.
- Early closure times for Saturday, September 9. Magic Kingdom closes at 9pm, Epcot at 9pm, Hollywood Studios at 7pm, Animal Kingdom at 7pm, and Disney Springs at 9pm.
- Disney’s Blizzard Beach water park will closed Friday, September 8 and Saturday, September 9. Typhoon Lagoon will remain open at this time.
- Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground is closed Saturday, September 9 at 2:00 pm. In addition, Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue and Mickey’s Backyard BBQ is canceled on Saturday September 9, Sunday September 10, and Monday September 11.
- Disney’s Vero Beach on the east coast of Florida will be closing at 2:00 on Friday, September 8, 2017. No word on how Disney is handling the evacuation of its guests.
- Orlando International Airport will stop flights on Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 5:00 pm. Orlando Sanford airport, will close at 5:15 pm on Saturday, September 9. Both airports have not stated when they will re-open. They will likely assess any damage and make that decision after the storm goes through Central Florida. If you are affected with the airport closures, contact your airline for more information.
- Aerophile balloon at Disney Springs is now closed in preparation for Hurricane Irma
Disney World Hurricane Irma Cancellations
The Spirit of Aloha dinner show at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort has been cancelled for Saturday, and likely will be canceled for Sunday in the very near future.
Fort Wilderness will be relocating guests, with those staying at the resort needing to leave the resort by 2 p.m. on Saturday, September 9, 2017. Fort Wilderness will remain closed through at least Sunday (more likely Monday).
Hoop-De-Doo Musical Revue and Mickey’s Backyard BBQ, all showings canceled through Monday.
The Night of Joy concerts at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex on September 9 are cancelled. The Friday concerts planned for Friday, September 8 will still run as scheduled. Those guests with Night of Joy tickets for Saturday can attend Friday’s event instead by exchanging their tickets at the Wide World of Sports ticket office starting at 4:00 pm on Friday. Those who are not able to attend either night, may request a refund. Those requests for a full refund will be honored.
Also, Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party has been cancelled for Sunday, September 10. The event will take place as planned on Thursday, September 7. Guests are invited to exchange their Sunday, September 10 ticket for one of the following options:
- Tickets to attend another Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party
- Tickets to attend an upcoming Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party
- 1 Day Magic Your Way Tickets with Park Hopper Option, to be used within the next 2 years.
- Receive a full refund for event tickets.
To redeem these offers, Guests should call (407) 939-7818 by January, 2018 between the hours of 7:00 am – 11:00 pm or email Disney at Ticket.Inquiries@DisneyWorld.com. Have your tickets available when contacting Disney.
See our related article for more information on hurricanes at Disney World. We pray for the safety everyone who is in the path of Irma. As locals ourselves we are already preparing for the worst.
I have been visiting the parks annually since my parents first brought me at just a year old. Recently I was able to fulfill my life long dream of being a Florida local and moved from the wintery Northeast to the sunshine and fun of central Florida. Now I am hoping to share my Disney knowledge with you so you can have the best vacation possible!