What a better way to ring in the new year than at Walt Disney World? Fair warning this is an insanely crowded time as everyone wants to get in on the action for Disney’s New Year’s celebrations. We recommend getting where you want to go early, as the parks do fill up to capacity and will start phased closure. This means that yes, they really do have to turn people away.
New Year’s Eve at the Magic Kingdom
Again, I have to say it as a warning this will be the busiest park on this night. You have two special options the first is boogie down at a pair of DJ dance parties followed by catching the Fantasy in the Sky fireworks display.
Magic Kingdom Park rocks out with DJ dance parties. Guests are invited to “grab your partner” in Frontierland for a spin around the dance floor or catch the futuristic beats in Tomorrowland. Guests can stake out their favorite viewing space as the “Fantasy in the Sky” fireworks show returns for two nights only (in place of “Happily Ever After”) to light up the night leading to the midnight countdown. Celebration nights: Dec. 30 & 31, 2019; “Fantasy in the Sky” will also be shown at 6:30 p.m. each night.
Note: The Disney Parks Blog will host a livestream of “Fantasy in the Sky” beginning at 11:50 p.m. ET on Dec. 31. Visit DisneyParksBlog.com for more information.
Fantasy in the Sky Fireworks
Head to your favorite viewing spot to watch this beloved, fan-favorite light up the night sky. On December 30th and December 31st, 2019, beginning at 11:50 PM. Additional shows will take place both nights at 6:30 pm. I HIGHLY recommend catching the show on the 30th as it is far less crowded. We highly recommend skipping the crowds and watch the fireworks from one of the Disney Magic Kingdom resorts.
Epcot New Year’s Eve
Anticipate an evening chocked-full of activities, from revelries across the nations to live music to fireworks shows. So let’s break down the three main events happening at Epcot on this day!
Celebrations Around the World Showcase
Who says you can’t ring in the new year more than once? As the clock strikes midnight in each country’s respective pavilion, listen for a festive announcement and gaze skyward for a colorful burst of fireworks to appear.
If you’re looking for lively dance parties, be sure to take a stroll around the World Showcase to encounter a variety of themed events in several country pavilions.
Live Music at the America Gardens Theatre
Delight in live music at this al fresco venue, located near the lagoon.
Fireworks Show at Epcot
Gather around the World Showcase Lagoon to see Epcot Forever at 11:40 PM, followed by a countdown to 2020 and a special New Year’s Eve display.
2019 will be a year long remembered at Disney’s Hollywood Studios with the debut of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in August and the new attraction Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance earlier this month. Magic from that galaxy far, far away will continue on New Year’s Eve as a special countdown will lead to a midnight performance of “Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular,” the nighttime show featuring scenes from Star Wars films paired with fireworks and special effects.
Take a walk on the wild side for a fun and festive time as Disney’s Animal Kingdom stays open until midnight and DJs keep the night moving at Discovery Island, DinoLand U.S.A. and Asia. Be watching the iconic Tree of Life for a special countdown to midnight.
Disney Resort New Years Eve Celebrations
Disney resort hotels will ring in the new year with a bevy of special events and dining opportunities, including:
- Bienvenidos 2020! New Year’s Eve at Toledo – Tapas, Steak and Seafood: This new restaurant on the top floor of the new Gran Destino Tower at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort offers a Spanish-inspired menu and flamenco guitarist who will delight in the main room while, next door at the Dahlia Lounge, a DJ leads the big countdown to 2020.
- Countdown to Midnight, A New Year’s Celebration at Disney’s BoardWalk: The countdown to 2020 at Atlantic Dance Hall features a live DJ, party hats and horns, confetti drop, mouthwatering light-bite menu, champagne toast at midnight and views of the Epcot fireworks.
- New Year’s Eve at Flying Fish: Celebrate the arrival of a new year during a festive affair featuring a multi-course prix-fixe menu created by award-winning chef Tim Majoras. A sustainable seafood tower and intermezzo is included in a second seating for this restaurant at Disney’s BoardWalk.
- Elegant Evening Under the Stars at California Grill: Ring in the new year with an elegant toast, marvelous entertainment and a special appearance by favorite Disney characters atop Disney’s Contemporary Resort. Cap off the night with a dazzling rooftop view of the “Fantasy in the Sky” fireworks at the Magic Kingdom.
- A New Year’s Eve Celebration at Narcoossee’s: Visit Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa to be part of this spectacular experience, where diners will enjoy a menu of local and global seafood selections in a relaxed waterside atmosphere with an early seating, or amp up the fun – including a live band for dancing the night away – with a later booking.
Let us know in the comment section below if you have ever spent your New Years Eve at Walt Disney World? Would you go back and do it again?!
I have been visiting the parks annually since my parents first brought me at just a year old. Recently I was able to fulfill my life long dream of being a Florida local and moved from the wintery Northeast to the sunshine and fun of central Florida. Now I am hoping to share my Disney knowledge with you so you can have the best vacation possible!