Every vacation is all about making memories to last a lifetime with your family. Disney vacations, of course, are the pinnacle of memory-making. Of course, this also means you want to share your happiness with your friends by sharing your Disney moments all over social media. On a serious note though we get that your vacation photos are a keepsake of memories from happy days with your family. Well, we are going to break down everything about Disney’s Memory Maker so you can decide if it’s right for your vacation.
What is Disney’s Memory Maker
Disney’s Memory Maker is a digital photo package offered at the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. It allows guests to capture and download unlimited photos taken by Disney PhotoPass photographers during their visit to the parks, including iconic locations and character meet-and-greets.
With Memory Maker, guests can access their photos from their Disney account, share them with family and friends, and download them for personal use, such as printing or creating photo books. The package also includes some Magic Shots, where Disney characters or special effects are added to the photos.
Guests can purchase Memory Maker in advance or on-site at the parks, and it’s valid for photos taken within 30 days of purchase.
How Much Do Disney’s Photo Packages Cost?
Memory Maker costs can vary based on when you purchase it or for how long. If you purchase Memory Maker before your trip, up to 3 days before, you will pay $169. That’s unlimited downloads of unlimited pictures for the duration of your trip! If you wait until you’re in Disney World then that price jumps to $199.
If you are only looking for unlimited downloads for just one day in the Disney Parks you can purchase just that at $69.
Walt Disney World offers a discount to salute the men and women of the armed forces and their families! Military families can purchase Memory Maker for just $99! Just visit a Cast Member at one of the blue Guest Services umbrellas in the park, and be sure to have your Military ID ready.
How Memory Maker at Disney World Works
First, we recommend that you take advantage of the early bird pricing, which saves you $30. As we stated earlier you’ll need to buy it at least three days before your trip. The pre-purchase price is $169 and the full price is $199 and it can be purchased online here.
Getting as many pictures taken as possible is key to increasing the value of Memory Maker! To get pictures, simply be on the lookout for PhotoPass photographers stationed throughout the parks. NEW IN 2023 – PhotoPass Photographers have ditched the bland beige uniforms and are now sporting bright neon green, so you are sure to see them! After they take your picture, have your Magicband or park ticket handy and it will link up to your My Disney Experience account.
If you don’t see it in your PhotoPass account within a day, call 407-560-4300. Be prepared to give them your information, where the photo was taken, what day and time. More often than not they can dig up the pictures that went missing.
Sharing Memory Maker
Going on vacation with friends or family, you can actually share your Memory Maker account! Sharing is easy, you simply need to make sure they link with you. This can happen by having them all listed in the same My Disney Experience account OR linking as friends within My Disney Experience and check off the option to allow sharing of photos for all people.
Essentially, everyone is sharing the photos with the person who purchased Memory Maker. Only the person who has Memory Maker on their account can edit and download the photos. This is the part that trips a lot of people up. I know this is the part that got me when it was first introduced. The good news is that the person who owns the photo package doesn’t have to be present to add more photos. Any linked account can do that! This means large parties could split the cost out over everyone making it even more affordable.
How Do You Get Your Ride Photos with Memory Maker?
Disney World is full of magic! In this case that magic is also known as RFID technology. This stands for Radio Frequency Identification, basically, your magic band emits a unique signal linked to your account. When you are on some attractions at Disney, your Magic Band is scanned during the ride. So, when your photo is taken it knows where to go! Magic!
Technology is great, but it’s not perfect. If you don’t see it in your PhotoPass account within a day, call 407-560-4300. Be prepared to give them your information, where the photo was taken, and what day and time. More often than not they can dig up the pictures that went missing.
Alternative Option: PhotoPass
Disney’s PhotoPass and Memory Maker are both services provided by Disney for capturing and sharing your vacation memories, but they have some differences.
PhotoPass is a service available to all park guests, which allows you to purchase individual photos taken by Disney PhotoPass Photographers. The photographers use their own camera equipment to take your photos, and then they scan your MagicBand that links to your photos in the My Disney Experience app. You can view and purchase individual photos or packages of photos online or in the park.
On the other hand, Memory Maker is a paid service that provides unlimited digital downloads of all the photos taken by Disney’s PhotoPass photographers during your visit, including ride photos and videos. Memory Maker also includes some Magic Shots, which are special photos that feature Disney characters or other fun elements added to your photos. With Memory Maker, you have access to all your photos for 30 days after your first download.
As much as we love Disney’s PhotoPass Photographers and the ability to be living in the moment, it’s important that you are aware that you don’t HAVE to purchase Memory Maker in order to have photos of your Disney World vacation!
Disney encourages guests to take their own photos wherever they like, just remember no selfie sticks. Cast Members are also able to take your photo for you using your camera or phone, as well!
Best PhotoPass Spots
With so many PhotoPass spots in Walt Disney World, how do you choose? You could literally spend your entire day just taking photos with Disney’s PhotoPass photographers, but we’re pretty sure you don’t want to do that…
NOTE: Don’t forget those memorable character meet and greet moments! Most characters have a PhotoPass photographer so you don’t have to miss a single moment and you can treasure the photos forever!
- Cinderella Castle in the Hub Area – This is a classic photo spot and one of the most iconic locations in all of Disney World. The castle makes a beautiful backdrop for your family photo, and there are usually PhotoPass photographers stationed here to help you get the perfect shot. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as Tinker Bell or the carriage from Cinderella.
- Main Street USA – Main Street is a bustling and colorful area full of shops, restaurants, and entertainment. There are lots of great photo opportunities here, from the vintage cars to the Main Street train station. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as Mickey and Minnie holding hands or the balloons.
- Haunted Mansion in Liberty Square – This spooky attraction is a favorite for many Disney fans, and the area around the mansion makes for some great photos. The architecture is very unique and adds a lot of character to your photos. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as the Hitchhiking Ghosts.
- World Showcase Promenade – The promenade is a long walkway that goes around the World Showcase Lagoon, and it offers some of the best views in all of Disney World. There are plenty of great photo opportunities here, with the various pavilions and landmarks as your backdrop. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as the “Leave A Legacy” background or the Pixar Ball.
- Spaceship Earth – This giant geodesic sphere is the centerpiece of Epcot and a must-see for any visitor. There are usually PhotoPass photographers stationed here to help you get the perfect shot, and the architecture of the sphere makes for a very unique backdrop. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as the “Sparkle Effect” or the “Journey Into Imagination” effect.
- Morocco Pavilion – This pavilion is one of the most detailed and immersive in all of Epcot, with stunning architecture, fountains, and lush landscaping. There are plenty of great photo opportunities here, from the mosaic tiles to the ornate doorways. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as Abu from Aladdin.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios:
- Hollywood Boulevard – This area of the park is designed to look like an old Hollywood street, complete with vintage cars and glamorous architecture. There are lots of great photo opportunities here, from the Hollywood Tower Hotel to the Chinese Theater. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as Mickey and Minnie holding hands or the balloons.
- Toy Story Land – This brand new land is designed to look like Andy’s backyard, and it offers some of the most immersive and photogenic areas in all of Disney World. There are plenty of great photo opportunities here, from the giant Woody statue to the carnival games. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as the Pixar Ball or the Green Army Men.
- Sunset Boulevard – This area of the park is home to some of the most iconic attractions in all of Disney World, such as the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. There are plenty of great photo opportunities here, from the neon lights to the vintage architecture. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror logo
- Tree of Life – This massive, artificial tree is the centerpiece of the park and features hundreds of animal carvings. It’s one of the most iconic and recognizable symbols of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, making it a popular spot for photos. There are several PhotoPass photographers stationed around the tree, ready to help you get the perfect shot. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as the “Awaken the Spirits” effect where spirits appear to emerge from the tree.
- Harambe Market – This area of the park is designed to look like an African street market, complete with colorful storefronts and street performers. There are plenty of great photo opportunities here, from the murals to the decorative signs. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as the “Lion King” effect where Simba and Nala appear in your photo.
- Pandora – The World of Avatar – This immersive land is based on the movie Avatar and features stunning visuals and otherworldly landscapes. There are plenty of great photo opportunities here, from the floating mountains to the bioluminescent plants. There are several PhotoPass photographers stationed around the area, ready to help you get the perfect shot. Plus, there are often Magic Shots available here, such as the “I See You” effect where a banshee appears in your photo.
BONUS: PhotoPass in Disney Springs!
The Photo Studio in Disney Springs is a great place for guests to use their Memory Maker downloads to create lasting memories with family and friends. The studio has a JC Penney photo studio vibe, with a touch of nostalgia from the 90s. It’s a great place to capture family photos, have a fun date night or create a unique and dorky Christmas card.
The studio has several different backgrounds to choose from, including classic Disney-themed options and more contemporary backdrops. Guests can also bring their own props to personalize their photos. The studio’s photographers are experienced and helpful, making it easy to get great shots.
A great idea for using the studio is to have a family photoshoot. With different backgrounds and props to choose from, families can get creative with their poses and create a series of fun and memorable shots. Couples can also use the studio for a fun and romantic date night, capturing their love with a variety of backdrops.
For those looking to create a unique Christmas card, the studio is a great option. With a variety of backdrops and props to choose from, families can create a fun and memorable card that’s sure to stand out from the rest. And with the help of the studio’s photographers, even the most dorky or silly ideas can be brought to life in a fun and festive way.
Genie+ Photo Lens
Did you know that when you purchase Genie+ you get exclusive access to Genie+ Lens? In your My Disney Experience app you will see the button in your menu on the days that you purchase Genie+. This Lens is filled with fun filters for selfies, photos, or killing time waiting for your next Lightning Lane.
Our favorites were the iconic Castle Cake selfie background and the Which Villian Are You filter quiz!
NEW: Genie+ Ride Photos
NEW IN 2023 – Now everyday that you purchase Genie+ guests will also receive free downloads of their ride photos!
See all of the rides in Disney World with ride photos here.
The Pros of Memory Maker
Let’s take a look at great reasons why you should get Disney’s Memory Maker.
- Pictures are taken by experienced Disney photographers with professional camera equipment. The end result normally shows it too! This is a stark contrast from asking a stranger to snap a shot of your entire family for you.
- There is no other way to get your on-ride photos they can only be purchased from Disney.
- Disney Magic Shots are another exclusive. This is when your photographer has you pose perfectly to fit in with the animated Disney characters that will be added to your photo.
- No one has to sit out with Memory Maker. Since a Disney Photopass photographer will be snapping all the shots this lets everyone be in the picture.
- Disney gives you access to hundreds of custom Disney picture borders and more so you can customize your pictures to your heart’s content.
- No more lugging around heavy and or expensive camera equipment. Disney has you covered so you can take it easy on your trip.
The Cons of Memory Maker
Here are some of the reasons you may want to skip out on buying the Memory Maker Disney photo package.
- The package is pricey, especially for short trips.
- The lines can sometimes get quite long for these Photopass pictures. Just take a look at the lantern shot over by the tangled restrooms in the Magic Kingdom. While the shots are one of a kind you can find yourself waiting in picture lines instead of ride lines. You can find some of our favorites in the Must Do PhotoPass Spots at Disney World.
- Some of the same pictures you can get for free by having PhotoPass photographers take pictures with your own camera. If you ask the Cast Member will always do this.
- PhotoPass photographers are not everywhere you may want a picture taken. They are only selectively at the hotel, typically just during the holidays. Sometimes they are not at every character meal either so you may want to bring a camera for those special meals.
Tips For Using Memory Maker
Memory Maker is a great way for guests to capture and save their memories at Walt Disney World Resort. This photo package allows guests to access unlimited digital downloads of all their Disney PhotoPass photos taken during their visit. To help guests make the most of their Memory Maker experience, here are some tips and tricks:
Get Familiar with Disney PhotoPass Locations
Disney PhotoPass photographers can be found throughout the parks at various locations. Take a look at the park maps or use the My Disney Experience app to locate the closest PhotoPass spot. Some popular spots include in front of Cinderella Castle, near Spaceship Earth in Epcot, and in front of the Tree of Life in Animal Kingdom.
Take Advantage of Magic Shots
Magic Shots are a fun way to add a little extra Disney magic to your photos. These special shots include digital effects, characters or props that are added to your photo after it’s taken. Ask your Disney PhotoPass photographer if they have any Magic Shots available, and don’t forget to strike a pose!
Use Ride Photos
Many of the attractions at Walt Disney World Resort include ride photos that can be linked to your Memory Maker account. Make sure to scan your MagicBand or park ticket to link the photo to your account, and then you can download it later.
If you have a special occasion or event planned, make sure to let your Disney PhotoPass photographer know. They may be able to suggest locations or Magic Shots that would be perfect for your occasion.
Don’t Be Afraid to Get Creative
The Disney PhotoPass photographers are there to help you capture your memories, so don’t be afraid to get creative with your poses and expressions. Whether you want to jump in the air, strike a silly pose or simply smile for the camera, the possibilities are endless.
Use Memory Maker at the Disney PhotoPass Studio
If you want to create a more personalized and professional photoshoot, consider visiting the Disney PhotoPass Studio in Disney Springs. Here you can choose from a variety of backdrops and props to create your perfect shot.
Once you’ve downloaded your Memory Maker photos, make sure to share them with family and friends. You can upload them to social media or create a photo book to remember your magical vacation.
Is Memory Maker Worth it?
Whether Memory Maker is worth it for you really depends on your individual preferences and priorities. Here are some factors to consider when deciding if Memory Maker is worth it for your trip to Walt Disney World:
How important are photos to you?
If you love taking photos and want to capture all your special memories at Walt Disney World, then Memory Maker may be worth it for you. With Memory Maker, you can access unlimited digital downloads of all your Disney PhotoPass photos taken during your visit, which can be a great way to preserve your memories.
How long is your trip?
If you are visiting Walt Disney World for multiple days, then Memory Maker may be a better value for you. You will have more opportunities to take photos and capture memories throughout your trip, which can make the cost of Memory Maker more worthwhile.
Are you traveling with a group?
If you are traveling with a group, Memory Maker can be a great way to share photos with each other and create a shared memory of your trip. You can download and share all the photos with your group, which can be a fun way to relive your vacation together.
How much do you value convenience?
With Memory Maker, you don’t have to worry about carrying around a camera or smartphone to capture all your memories. The Disney PhotoPass photographers will take care of all the photos for you, which can be a more convenient and hassle-free option.
How much are you willing to spend?
The cost of Memory Maker varies depending on when you purchase it and how many days it covers. You will need to consider whether the cost of Memory Maker fits within your budget and whether you are willing to pay the extra fee for this service.
Conclusion on Disney Memory Maker
Overall, Memory Maker can be a great way to capture and save your memories at Walt Disney World. However, whether it is worth it for your trip really depends on your individual preferences and priorities. If photos are important to you and you are willing to pay the extra cost, then Memory Maker can be a worthwhile investment that helps you create lasting memories of your magical vacation.
If you have purchased Memory Maker before let us know about your experience in the comment section below.
I am a mother of three that has refused to grow up. Adulting is for the birds, so I go to Disney World every chance I get for that magical escape from reality. I believe that Haunted Mansion is the best ride in all of the Disney Parks, and I am fervently in team Happily Ever After for fireworks spectaculars, (sorry, not sorry, Enchanted). Finally, I hope I never grow tired of skipping down Main Street, USA, and my dream come true would be “friends with” the Fairy Godmother in my old age.
Need More Help Planning Your Vacation?
A travel agent is an essential resource when planning a vacation. Reach out to Magical Travel and they will make sure your vacation is pure magic and no stress! Their services are 100% FREE to you!